Saturday, May 16, 2009

Mutsy Slider Review

Mutsy in Malibu and the Mansion

Summer was here, and we were invited to a party at a house in Malibu. Hmmm, now, who to take. It must be elegant but hip, cutting edge but classic. It must have nice summer beach colors. It must have a bassinette, (so SP 2.0 could have a nice nap), and it must be able to traverse the sand. Tall order, but...I had the perfect candidate. The Mutsy Slider!


As I predicted, the Slider was a real attention-getter. People flocked around it, asking me questions. Particularly the pregnant types, and the husbands thereof. Having the bassintte at the party was a great idea. SP 2.0 was overwhelmed a few times, from getting passed around by strangers. When I placed him in it, he calmed down right away. I think he felt safe. And the bouncy suspension was amazing. I just pushed down the handle a bit, and it's like the thing was on springs!
I also liked how high up it sat. Nearly as tall as the Stokke Xplory. Great for the sand. Or for the snow, slush, unpaved roads, tree roots, etc. How often do you find such shimmery beauty, and rugged functionality, in the same package? (Gee, that sounded like a new car ad.)
Now one thing I *didn't* think about, was how many steps there are to get up to a Malibu beach house. For this particular one, to have the breathtaking overhang view of the sea, there were a lot. And at 29 pounds, (that's with the bassinette. It's 25 with the seat.) hauling the Slider up them was no easy feat. Of course, it would have been easier if I did what the manufacturer recommends, which is to break it down into two pieces (very easy. The top half of the stroller just pops right off!) I was looking forward to using it again that next week-end. This time, it was at a party in a mansion in Beverly Hills. I had been there before, so I knew it was relatively flat. Now this particular mansion once belonged to a very famous TV star. Even though she has long since moved, it is still on the "Maps of the Stars Homes" tour bus route. We had to park on the street, because there were ponies in the driveway of the mansion. The minute we got out of the car, the tour buses appeared. And all the tourists were snapping pictures. Not of us, but, of the Slider! The Slider was a celebrity, haha!Well, I was a bit wrong about the flat part. At least in the back yard. This is a historic BH home. And there were brick steps that went up, and brick steps that went down, and brick steps that went up, and brick steps that went down. And yes, I meant to repeat that, because they kept repeating. And narrow, all of those walkways were NARROW. Despite it's fabulous manueverability, the Slider's 26' width meant the wheels kept getting hung up on the bricks. I guess that is the way they built 'em back in the roaring '20's. Well it was almost perfect. The best laid plans of mice and men...
Inside the party, the Slider continued to turn heads. My friend's mom said it reminded her of a pram she bought 57 years ago, which they had paid $10 for! Her husband asked, "How much does that one go for, about $50?" "Well no," I said. "It's a bit more. Actually", I tell him, "A lot of strollers are running up around a thousand dollars now". "A thousand dollas!" exclaims his wife, the one who bought the $10 stroller 57 years ago. "That's the price of a CAR!" "When mom, when?" shouts out one daughter. "And she has a bunch of strollers, hundreds", says my friend. "HUNDREDS???" says her sister-in-law. "Have you been on Ripley's Believe it or not?" And she's laughing her head off. "No", says my friend. "But she has been in the NY Times, Wall Street Journal, BBC, the CBS Early Show, the Today Show..." "But what about Good Morning America?" says her mom. "Have you been on Good Morning America? That's my favorite!" Now the sister in law, who has been sitting there thinking, says "Now WHY do you have so many strollers? I had one Maclaren for every kid, and that was good enough!" "Well", I say, "How many pairs of shoes do you have? How many bags?" (She is very well-dressed.) "But that's different", she says. "Not to her!" says my friend. She has a stroller to match every outfit, a stroller to match every bag, a stroller for every holiday." "And what do you DO with all these strollers?" demands the SIL. "I run them on the Strollerqueen Obstacle Course, up and down hills , one -handed, with a cup of coffe in the other" I say. At this point, the sister across the table spits out HER coffee, she is laughing so hard. "AHHH," says the SIL, waving her hand at me, "You're just nuts!" Now the mother chimes in again. "Stop talking and go to the gym!" she says. You all need to go to the gym and work out!" With that command,the daughters, granddaughters, and sisters-in-law dutifully stand up to go, pushing their chairs back under the table. "See", I said to the SIL, "If you had a jogging stroller, you could just take a good run instead".

No comments:

Post a Comment